Monday, September 04, 2006

If you can, announce yourself going forward!

As most of you know I have recently changed jobs. I am still working for Lowe's but I am back in a store. Previously I was working as an Area Manager with 25 stores. Each day was full of excitement, drama and awe. Well, since I have gone back to one store things have been kind of quiet. My store is a great place. It is in a small town and everything usually just goes along like clockwork. That is usually.

On Tuesday 8/29 things were not normal. I recently stopped getting country ham biscuits on the way to work and I say thats why this day was so crazy. So I guess I will have to get a biscuit every now and then...ok- back to the day's events.

Several weeks ago my store manager told me of an incident with an employee who has trouble breathing. She had a trach installed within the last year or so. It sits at the base of her neck and it is basically a plastic device that covers a hole in her trachea. So anyway, my store manager told me that one day she passed out and could not breath. The previous manager assisted her by "popping" her trach. I was puzzeled when he told me this. I have never known anyone with this type of device. I asked a few more questions and went on about my business.

Fast forward to 8/29 10am. I have just completed an interview for a cashier. I dismissed her and went back to my office to make a phone call on a reference. My office door is about half way open at this point and I am not able to see the entrance into the larger room where my office is located inside. People always open the door, look in and the leave the room. Sometimes they don't find what they need or see who they are looking for so they leave. My point is I hear the door open and close all the time without actually seeing anyone or talking to anyone unless they round the corner to get to my office.

ok- so after looking up a few phone numbers in the phone book for the reference I heard they door open and then close but never saw anyone or heard them. About 10 seconds later I heard a "thud" and a "uuggghhh". I stood up pulled the door open and stepped out of my office to find an employee lying face down on the concrete. Oh Sh*t!! You bet I said it, Oh Sh*t. "Sally" was down. This is the same employee I had been told about before.

I bent down to take a look and shook her shoulder with no response. I called her name twice with no response. I went outside and asked the lady at my customer service desk to call the other manager and send him to the office. I turned around and went back to see about Sally. This was not good. I rolled her over with both hand and she was blue. Her lips, her face, her fingers were all turning blue. I thought she was dead. Now what? What do I do? She has this trach and I remember hearing about "popping" it...it that right? Should I do it? I did it.

I touched it like it was a dead bug at first. Nothing happened. Next, I noticed there was a flip lid over the hole so I flipped it open and the sound of air escaping rushed by me. And then she started to gasp for air. Thank god!

Here comes the manager that I had called earlier and he has an Epipen. This is a device that has Epinepherine (probably spelled wrong) in it and it is supposed to help her in these situations. So he opens the box and twists the cap off of the prescription drug and bam!!! He stuck himself with the Epinephrine! He now has a needle stuck in his thumb and prescription drugs have been injected into him. Drugs that are not meant for him. Oh Sh*t. Yes again. bad words but what luck. The sring loaded injection has now been inserted into the wrong person. What are we going to give Sally as she gasps for air?? I called 911 and expalined. Within minutes they arrived. They were fully aware of this situation as they had responded to the previous call in Feb.

At this point 911 responders have taken over and we keep our distance. ABout an hour later she is transported to the hospital. She was released later that day and returned to work on Thursday. Needless to say I still get creeped out when I look at her. Thank goodness she is ok. Neither "Sally" or the Dr. know whay this happened.

And by the way- the other manager's thumb turned white as a ghost and was as cold as ice for about 5 hours. We followed up with the Dr. on him and he will be fine.

Yes we have some unanswered questions to work on. Believe me, I know. All kinds of thing went through my head while this was happening. We are currently reviewing this situation with out corporate office. We certainly hope and wish for the best for our employee.

Well- there you have it some drama for your baby's mama!! I am sorry if some of you have heard this story (Rusty) a few million times.

I will certainly keep you all abreast of the situation. I realized that my spell check does not work. Sorry for any typos.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heavenly Days! What a situation....what if that happened to the woman when she was in the rest room and no one had been in there?..........sounds like a dangerous situation for all concerned!

Laura said...

Great Job keeping a cool head in a not so cool situation.