Monday, September 03, 2007

Jumping the Gun

It appears I have jumped the gun as they say....I saw a great deal on a beautiful kitchen faucet at Lowe's and I took it. A Kohler K647-Simplice to be exact...retails at just under $300. After my store took inventory we had a faucet left over, I liked it and my store manager made me a deal....$5. I took it. I knew that it might be missing some parts but it was worth it to me. After all, I could just call Kohler and get the missing parts sent to me, right?



While this previous sentence is true, you must know what you are missing to be able to order the right parts. Huh! Since there were no instructions on how to put it in much less a parts list, I just logged on to the trusty website and tried to figure it out. If you know me, once I get something in my head, I will stop at nothing to get it done. Rusty is nodding right now.



So, I looked and looked and even called the company and went over the list with a nice customer service rep. It seemed that I was only missing a soap bottle which I could add once it came in. Therefore I could proceed with installing the faucet. And so I did.



You see, I like to do things while my husband is away so I can surprise him when he comes home. He hates this about me. Rather, he does not like surprises like this.



Anyway- I removed the original faucet (which was perfectly good) and installed the new one. WHAT- no supply lines? I can't use the old ones from the other faucet?? Supply lines take the water to the faucet and are critical parts needed when completing this install. I had none. Not ONE. I should have known this.



I took a picture of it anyway to admire the work. I then went to Lowe's the next day to ask about getting the right supply lines. Maybe we carry the ones I need? NOPE. They must be special ordered.



So I got on the phone with Kohler again and ordered the right lines. They of course are very nice and are perplexed that I was missing all these parts. When she asked where I got the faucet I paused and thought long and hard about saying Home Depot (haha Jim) but I fessed up and said Lowe's. I did not tell her it was a former display. She would not have sent me the parts I needed free of charge if I mentioned this so my lips were sealed.



She said she would send the order to a supervisor and see if they could be overnighted to me. Well, two days later some of the parts were here....mostly the nuts to connect the supply lines but no lines! So I will wait for the back ordered lines to come in. In the meantime, washing dishes in the bathroom sink is getting old. I reinstall the old faucet. The old one was fairly easy to take out but a mystery to get back in. I finally got it in. One screw remains left over. I know where it goes but I can't quite get there to put it back in. Its tough working upside down with short arms. I pushed ahead and we now have water in the kitchen sink.



I guess I jumped the gun. The new faucet will look great as you can see below. It will be even better when water is flowing freely to it!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice faucet! Too bad about the missing parts lesson. Oh well... next time you'll know to ask about all the parts being there. When it gets reinstalled, you'll have a good story to go along with it!

Anonymous said...

Marisa, I liked your story, It seems we get quite a few customers from the blue box in the same pickle as you, comming to the HD to solve the problems that 'the good deal' had caused them. I know my assocaites, would have never let you out of the store with out water lines. Sounds like a training issue. lol Have them call me, we will get them trained :) You can do it, we can help.

Ruby said...

Sissy, David and I ran into a similar problem when we replaced a tub faucet. Who knew that all supply lines weren't interchangeable?! It's a beaut, though! I'm sure it will be well worth it when it's all said and done!

Jim, you're killing me!

(BTW boys and girls: Ella had to choose one of her home improvement store smocks to take to preschool for art and she went with... the orange. Because it had Mickey Mouse on it. Lowe's needs a character deal!)

Anonymous said...

At a girl ella!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "my kinda woman" I like the attitude........."I can do anything"

Anonymous said...

Marisa comes from a line of independent women! She hasn't had this many comments in a long time!

Marisa said...

Goodness. SO much to say. Where to start...FIRST of all- let me address my competition...I knew there was a chance something was missing since it was a special order display. This is why it was $5. And when I went to see my plumbing guys (Phil and Andy) they fixed me up! Now, lets discuss the 2nd qtr earnings for HD and why the company sold its distribution to an outsider?

Thanks Granny and Mom and Megan for your positive notes.

Megan- Ella might wear ugly orange to art class b/c of the mouse but when she out grows M-I-C-K-E-Y and gets ready to take on a major project she will turn to the true home improvement retailer (red, white and blue) and her Aunt Sissy for all her needs. GIRL POWER!

Ruby said...

Oh, and BTW: How funny that you should mention that once you get something in your head you want to do it. NOW. David and I were just discussing that quality of mine the other day! I wanted to make Ella her new big girl room RIGHT THEN. I had to wait because the bed store was closed but I went out and bought sheets, damnit.

I think it would be serious trouble if you and I lived near each other. We would be doing all kinds of stuff on each other's whim!

Anonymous said...

You two are not alone in the "Do it now" department! Remember when James was at our house (and Joy) and he saw a McDonald's commerical and said, "Boy those fries look good" and we all jumped in the car and went to Mickey D's? It was like 9 pm or something!

Anonymous said...

YOu are so funny. All that trouble for one little faucet- a very beautiful little faucet. That is a very MARISA story. I love it.

Anonymous said...

poor Rusty


Carlos